Investing with Fisgard
Fisgard is an investment for people of all incomes – students, new parents, families, grandparents and retirees.
Here’s what makes us different.
With Fisgard you can:
- Start small if you wish. Open an account with just $1,000.
- Invest monthly rather than in a lump sum.
- Save Money. Registered Plan fees amongst the lowest in Canada.
- Stay flexible. Go with a 1, 3, or 5-year series. Take your dividends in cash for income or reinvest your dividends for growth.
About the tax-exempt Mortgage Investment Corporation (MIC)
Fisgard is a tax-exempt Mortgage Investment Corporation. We distribute 100% of net profit to our investors, and since MIC dividends paid to investors are treated as expenses for tax purposes, the company is not taxed. The result is a greater return for our investors. Our investors place cash and registered funds – such as the RRSP, TFSA, RRIF or RESP – in Fisgard, and we invest that capital in quality mortgages secured by valuable Canadian real estate. The mortgages produce steady revenue, which we pass on to our investors every three months. You choose to take your dividends in cash for income or you can reinvest them so your money grows more quickly through compound interest.
Investing in Canadian Mortgages
Professional mortgage lenders do not work in a box, and are able to adapt quickly to market conditions and take advantage of situations institutional lenders have difficulty doing. This is the essential advantage of private lending and the reason for Fisgard’s great returns. Our mortgage guidelines have stood the test of time with relatively minor changes to suit market conditions. When we have to adapt, we do; but rarely do we deviate materially from the basic mortgage guidelines listed below:
- We lend on primarily serviced urban property in communities that demonstrate economic stability and growth.
- We lend on primarily residential property.
- We lend from British Columbia to Ontario.
- We maximize security by making a larger number of smaller mortgage loans as opposed to just a few larger loans. In short, we avoid concentration.
- To maximize market flexibility the majority of our mortgages are shorter term (up to 5 years) allowing Fisgard to react and adjust quickly to changing market conditions.
- We also invest in non-mortgage investments consisting of:
- bank deposits (monies not immediately invested will be deposited in a chartered bank), and
- direct investments in real property or in units of a limited partnership invested in real property, only as a result of a foreclosure.